Friday, August 2, 2013

Classroom cuteness

I'm in my classroom a lot.  So, I figure I might as well fill it with cute, quirky things that make me and my students happy.

Item One: the note pad

I am a die hard Arizona Cardinals fan. I know we don't have the best record in the NFL. I know we were better when Kurt Warner was our quarterback.  There is something to be said about team loyalty and the Arizona Cardinals have my heart.  I have Cardinals pillows on my couch and slippers underneath my desk (for after school hours of course!).  

So when I found this notepad at Ross, I knew it had to be mine. It's practical.  It also shows my students a little something about me.  Yes, I will make football references.  Yes, we will talk about good sportsmanship and what it means to lose gracefully.  Yes, I'll probably even quote Vince Lombardi to them when discussing what it means to pursue greatness and keep trying.

My former co-teacher who is across the hall is a die hard Cowboys fan.  She's done her bulletin boards in blue and silver out of loving, playful spite.  We've even done a road trip from Las Vegas down to Phoenix (ok, Glendale) for a Cardinals vs. Cowboys game. (Cardinals won that one, major bragging rights for years to come!).  

So naturally, this is on my desk.  I might even position it so she can see it from her room.  Because that's what makes a good team :)

Item Two: The Warm and Fuzzy Feelings Jar


This idea came from pintrist and mine is not as cute as this teacher's.  I used a mason jar and a sticky label, but the concept is the same.  I offer positive praise when my students are helping one another and displaying good character traits.  I don't reward them every day. I look for little acts of kindness and celebrate them.  We talk, a lot, about being a family and helping one another out.  When the jar is full, they choose a reward.  My favorite rewards are extra recess or free reading time (with pillows). 

This cartoon I would never post in my classroom but it cracks me up.  We have so much to deal with some days!  Good thing teaching is awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment