Thursday, August 8, 2013

New product: novel study for the Giver

I first read the Giver in elementary school, then again as a junior in high school.  I enjoyed it in elementary school but my teacher didn't necessarily have the necessary discussions with our group.  Back in that time, it was simply enough to hand students a book and give them a test at the end.  There were no discussions.  

I think the lack of discussions does a disservice to students.

Obviously I wouldn't have the same discussion with fifth graders and I would with high school students, but that doesn't mean elementary students can't handle this book in a very structured, scaffolded setting.

I've made my teacher notes available here.

Hope your students enjoy this book as much as mine do!  I've used it both as a whole class read aloud and in small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment