Monday, September 2, 2013

New TpT product: novel study for Steal Away Home

Product #53

In our grade level, we are trying something new this year.  We are going to be using a lot more mentor text and spiraling the Common Core State standards, rather than teaching the standards in isolation.  I'm excited about the plethora of books (both informational text and literature) because some of them I'd never read before.  I love when I get to spend a Saturday curled up with a book and cup of tea, claiming it's for work.

One of the novels I read was Steal Away Home by Lois Ruby.



I like that this novel took place in two separate eras and switched back and forth every chapter.  I think it's a wonderful novel to use when analyzing how text structure impacts a story as well as comparing and contrasting people and events.  (In case you were wondering, that's RL 5.5 and RL 5.3)

I created a 25 page teacher guide to go with the novel, which is available here on TpT.  I kept the Common Core in mind when creating rigorous questions and look forward to reading this novel with my whole class.  I included pre and post reading discussion questions, vocabulary for each chapter, comprehension questions (with answers) and homework (responses to literature) for each chapter.  There are also included worksheets to use when comparing and contrasting the settings and characters.  Hope you find it useful!

Happy reading :)

Ms. Vice

No comments:

Post a Comment