Monday, September 15, 2014

Um...what did you say?

Fifth graders say the weirdest things sometimes.

They're researching Native American Indians in reading/writing and learning how to create multimedia presentations.  Today we were working in the classroom and in the pod (on the computers) when one group of (rather giggly) girls called me over.

This same group had confused "Pablo" with "Pueblo" last week, so I was concerned about their question.

I was asked "what's a butt skin?"

Yes, butt skin.

Struggling to keep a straight face, I racked my brain to figure out what on earth they were talking about.  Luckily, it dawned on me: buck skin.

So, I asked if she meant buck skin.

She said yes because that's what she'd said.  I went on to clarify that buck and butt are two different words and that a buck is an animal.  That seemed to please her but I had to struggle to keep a straight face.

Naturally, I immediately told the rest of my grade level.  There are no butt skins during our project.

Oh fifth graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment