Friday, September 5, 2014

Passion

Continuing with the blog-tember challenge, today we are asked to reflect on what lights our fires.  What makes us passionate?

I get excited about a lot of things.

For example, books.  I was that person that needed Harry Potter, at midnight, on the release date.  I would not share with my brother and I wouldn't talk to anyone until I was done reading. I will passionately defend Harry Potter because it wasn't just a book series, it was my childhood. I will always find my home at Hogwarts.



Sometimes books make me angry (looking at you Rick Riordan, Lois Lowry, and Victoria Roth).  In that anger is a passion and investment in the characters.  Books don't always end the way I'd like and that's something I'm still learning to be okay with.  That passion, that frustration, is a good thing because it means I've connected with the characters.

This is a lesson I'm working on with my students.  Being emotional and passionate about books is a wonderful thing.

I'm also passionate about teaching.  The paperwork and playground duty? Eh, not so much.  But the conversations with students, the opportunity to watch them grasp a concept they've been struggling with for weeks is amazing.  Watching them fall in love with literature and learning is the best part of my job.  I love kids and I love watching them learn to think for themselves. I'm passionate about teaching my fifth graders.



What are you passionate about?

No comments:

Post a Comment