Friday, September 12, 2014

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Today's Blogtember challenge:

Tell us about a favorite tradition. It could be a family tradition or from a holiday, university, you-name-it. What makes it so special?

Growing up, holidays weren't always the happiest of times.  Bickering parents and a dysfunctional family dynamic meant that more than a few days of alone time would lead to lots of fighting.

However, there is one tradition I love: Christmas shopping with my mom.  It wasn't to indulge in mass consumerism, it's just a time for her and I to spend a lot of alone time to catch up.  It's nice to pick out gifts for others and spend time bonding.  We aren't burdened with having to entertain or accommodate the grouchy, non-shoppers in the family.  As I've grown up, I've used our long time in lines to share life news like my first tattoo and about boyfriends.

I am excited to start new traditions with B.  His family doesn't really decorate for holidays, so last year was our first Christmas season together.

We started our own tradition of decorating his and her football trees:



Yes, we didn't want to compromise so we have a Cardinals tree and a Broncos tree.

This year will be our second Christmas together, but our first one in our new home.  My family is coming up to celebrate, so I'm excited to host my first holiday with the family members I actually enjoy!

What are your favorite holiday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment