Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dear self

B had class last night (with the computer) and I had a long day at work, so I'm playing catch up with the blog-tember challenge!

Day 3's question:
"When I grow up I want to be..." Answer as your 5-year-old self or as you are now.

At five, I wanted to be a lot of things. I wanted to be both a ballerina and a fairy princess for Halloween, so my loving mother gave into my whining and combined costumes, much to the confusion of my neighbors.

The dream to be a princess never really faded.
 
I wanted to be a ninja or like Kimberly, the Pink Ranger from the Power Rangers. The same loving mother put me in gymnastics and dance instead.  A year later, I was still wanting to be Pink Ranger, so she let me start martial arts.



At 17, the day before an AP test, I earned my black belt.  I don't think my mother has fully forgiven me for not pursing her ballerina dream.

At five, I was also obsessed with Wendy from Peter Pan.  I tried to fly by leaping off a picnic table.  I met concrete and a hospital visit. I told my new Sunday school teacher that was my name. I got away with this deception for a few weeks before my lie was unraveled.  Apparently you're not supposed to lie at church...oops.  We kept the artwork.  Sorry mom.

At five, I also wanted to be in charge.  I didn't know quite yet of what, but I knew I liked giving directions and having other people listen.  This sometimes unyielding desire to be in charge was documented on my kindergarten report card and more than one parent teacher conference was held about me needing to learn to listen to my classmates.  At five, I guess I'd decided their ideas were silly and we should only do mine.

Sometimes I still feel like I struggle with this.

At five, I wanted to be a flying, fairy princess ninja who was in charge of everything.

Today, I am a teacher.

Pretty close, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment