Saturday, March 1, 2014

Maniac Magee

Last week, one of my small groups finished reading Jerry Spinelli's Maniac Magee.




This group is composed of all GATE students (gifted & talented), so I was expecting a very thoughtful discussion about the lessons that Maniac had learned throughout the novel.

I was not disappointed.

They took turns and talked about how Maniac had dealt with overcoming a tragic childhood with the loss of his parents.  They talked about how he oversaw racism and brought people together.  They talked about how he kept trying to do the right thing, even when he suffered the loss of friends and was kicked out to the streets.  They briefly addressed Maniac being homeless and what could be done to help him.  I was very impressed with their maturity.

One brought up that Jerry Spinelli must have had some trouble in his childhood since he wrote Loser as well.

That spurred another conversation comparing Zinkoff (from Loser) with Maniac (from Maniac Magee).  It was a beautiful, natural conversation about characters from across texts.  It was one of those moments I wish I was being observed so their thoughtfulness (and on topic behavior) would positively reflect in my teacher evaluation.

But then I ruined it.

They went on and on about death, struggle, trying to do the right thing and being a hero to others.  So I looked them straight in the face and said "Oh, so Maniac is kind of like Batman?"

That prompted a whole new, slightly less academic conversation.  

Sorry, but I'm not sorry!  There should be more joy in teaching and if I can find a way to talk about Batman, I will!

Happy reading!

(You can snag the guide I made and use with my small groups here)

No comments:

Post a Comment