Saturday, March 15, 2014

Word Work lessons

Since I have the upper half of the grade level for small group reading, I focus on word work rather than phonemic awareness.  My students aren't learning to read, they're readers.  So our focus is on those irregular word patterns and nuances in the English language that must be explicitly taught to students (especially my English Language Learners).

We've worked on irregular past tense verbs and silent letters, so I created power points.  Our word work is only 5-10 minutes per reading block (sixty minutes) because that's what my students need.  Word work and fluency practice takes no more than fifteen minutes (combined) so the remaining forty five minutes are spent reading, writing, publishing, blogging, sorting, creating, analyzing, comparing, contrasting, or meeting with me for our literature circles.

I've posted my weekly lessons on TpT for a dollar each.  You can edit them if you don't like the font I used or you can download the free font here.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment