Sunday, March 9, 2014

Vocabulary Day Parade

For reading week, we always read Debra Fraiser's picture book Miss Alaineus. 



In it, a young girl mishears a vocabulary word and instead of asking for the correct word, fibs on her homework.  Her dishonesty is brought to light in a humorous way and the book talks of having a vocabulary parade.

So, at our school, the last day of Reading Week is vocabulary word parade day.  After reading the novel, I make a circle map on the board of possible words:




My students have a week to figure out their costumes.  Last year, I was survival and wore a shirt with book characters' names who had to survive.  I believe there was Katniss (Hunger Games), Klaus, Sunny, Violet (A Series of Unfortunate Events), Brian (Hatchet), Ellen, Annemarie (Number the Stars), Harry, Ron, Hermione (Harry Potter series) and many more.

This year, we did a theme for our grade level.  We went as runners, complete with bibs and medals.  My word was perseverance while my fellow teachers were endurance and tenacity.  We talked to the fifth graders about how these words were ones we really wanted them to embody.  

They had such a great time making the costumes, sharing their words, then doing a parade around the playground at the end of the day on Friday.

It was a nice end to one of my favorite weeks of the year, reading week!

No comments:

Post a Comment