Thursday, March 13, 2014

New Novel Unit: Al Capone Does My Shirts

As I previously wrote about, the time has come when I have extra homework for my small groups.  Granted, this homework is to read the novels with them, so that doesn't really feel like much work.

I just finished this Newbery honor:




I really enjoyed it.  One of the main characters, Natalie, is a child with autism.  This is never stated outright but clues are dropped throughout the novel.  It will be an interesting discussion with my students to see if they can put the pieces together.  I teach in an inclusion room and my students are fairly accepting of all people, so I'm excited to see the maturity in which they handle these discussions.  (They're just starting the novel).

While reading, I took diligent notes on vocabulary words and comprehension questions.  I turned these into a 27 page teacher's guide, which you can snag here on TpT.  I've included everything I will use to do this novel with my own small group.  

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment