Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Expository Writing

We started using the expository nonfiction writing unit in Being a Writer, but it simply wasn't meeting our needs.


This week is reading week and we are doing a travel theme.  


Our grade level was assigned Europe, so we are having our students research different European countries.  Instead of writing a paper, they're making travel brochures and loving it!

We reviewed text structures:



Then brainstormed research questions for each:






We went over a very simple organizer for note taking:


For this project, my students are required to use one print and one digital source.  My librarian shared Culture Grams with us.  I taught my students how to access this from our school's library site.  I like that we have access to different data bases and they're kid friendly!
We went over the outline of the brochure:


I modeled a thinking map about Ireland:


From my thinking map, I modeled writing research questions and then determining which text structure I'd use for my written response:


From there, I set up our hallway decoration using the map my awesome neighbor drew:



Norway, by the way, has a very difficult coast line!

We split Europe into four parts and I got Northern Europe.

Tomorrow we're finalizing our brochures and then our hallway display will be up to date!  I love how excited they are to research and learn about different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment