Monday, January 18, 2016

Back to Reality

This past week was a blur at work.  I had a surprise IEP meeting due to a date mix up, duty, a counseling lesson, Battle of the Books, a staff meeting, report cards, and teaching.  I rushed to get everything done by Thursday because my mom was coming in for the weekend!

Let's recap:

Thursday

 She had a late flight (after nine pm), so I took a nap after work.  We picked her up, chatted for a few once we got home, and crashed.  I had work the next day and need a full night's rest when dealing with teaching three dozen ten year olds long division with decimals, without the algorithm.  

Friday

Friday morning we walked Waffles, I put dinner in the crockpot, and we headed to work.  A colleague was super chatty that morning, so I wasn't as productive as I would have liked.  It was also my off prep day, but that made for a quick afternoon.  We were able to Skype with my bestie at Yale.  We'd just learned about Connecticut, so it was academically appropriate.  She gave the students a walking tour of Yale and answered their inquisitive questions.  I also gave my students question time to ask my mom what they wanted (I was sure to set a timer!).  We had a pretty standard day with no ridiculous student behavior.  

We headed home and B brought home Redbox movies.  We enjoyed dinner, watching Minions and the newest Mission Impossible movie, looked at bridal magazines, wedding planned, and enjoyed bonding time.

Saturday

Once again, our day started with a walk with Waffles.  Isn't she precious?  (She's 10 months, so she may get a little bigger.  She's from ARP (Adopt a Rescue Pet), so we aren't entirely sure of her breed.  We think collie-shepherd mix, but who knows.  More importantly, who cares?)



She still isn't aware that dogs go to the bathroom while on walks, but wasn't scared by passing vehicles, so progress!

From there, we headed to {Babystacks} and it was amazing.  If you're ever in Vegas, go here.  Plain and simple.  Since it was a cheat day, I devoured an omelet, seasoned potatoes, and two of the most wonderful pancakes I've ever encountered.  They were German chocolate with peppermint and white chocolate chips.  I could have died happy on the spot.  As a silly twist of fate, we were right next to my coworker Mrs. O, her hubby, and their precious two year old, so that was fun to chat over pancakes.  

We headed to Alfred Angelo for our noon dress appointment.  I went in with eight styles picked out from their website, but ended up falling for a brand new one on the mannequin.  

(Read the full dress shopping saga {here}).

We were 99% sure that was the one, but had a 4 pm appointment at another store just to be sure.  The consultants totally understood and wished us luck!

From there, my mom and I parted ways with my future MIL and one of our maids until later.  We picked up some items at Target, hit up a local craft store for ideas, then stopped by the Cannery and Sam's Town so she could get a feel for the locations and report back to my aunts.  We had a little bit of time to kill, so I showed her the super awesome dog park where we take Waffles and she got to admire little dogs in sweaters for a few.

We went to the second appointment and it was simply alright.  I really only liked one dress out of six and it was quite similar to the other one at Alfred Angelo, except more expensive and with a super awkward seam in the middle of the dress.  The store was also filled with lots of teenagers buying their prom dresses and if I have a group with me, sitting in chairs, because I have an appointment, I kind of get first dibs at the podium and the big mirrors.  I shouldn't have to stand to the side, in a wedding dress, waiting for hopeful prom queens to move from my spot.


 
(Seriously girls, move. Wedding trumps prom.)

It also irked me that another bridal party was offered champagne and we weren't.  The sales woman did her best and I left my contact information, but I won't be back.  Going to the second store that day really solidified that the other dress was it.

As soon as we left that appointment, I said the other dress was it.  All of my bridesmaids agreed and well, it's quite the feat if ten women all agree on something!

We headed to my favorite {pizza and pasta joint} for dinner where we met up with B and a few more friends.  Dinner was delicious and afterward, my mom and I headed back to Alfred Angelo to officially say yes to the dress.

I posted on social media that I'd said yes to the dress and I'm floored by how many people are genuinely excited about it.  I have such an amazing tribe. Thanks friends! 

Of course, we also watched the Cardinals defeat the Packers and I had a lot of loud words about that amazing ending.  


Sunday  

Because it's Vegas, we started our day with brunch at {Crepe Expectations}, which is another family owned shop and is amazing. My mom, B, and I each got our own savory crepe and shared a sweet one for dessert.  Because it's brunch, a white peach mimosa was also involved:




We then went to {Popped}, a gourmet specialty popcorn store that's conveniently right next to breakfast.  I've gone there for popcorn for baby showers and other events.  Thank goodness for their loyalty program!

We then headed to Green Valley Ranch for Bingo.  We'd never done it before, it was more expensive than I expected, and we won nothing.  I'd do it again, but not on a weekly basis.  We were the youngest in the room by decades and the woman next to us was loudly praying to the Holy Spirit that her husband would win.  That got old quite quickly.

Afterwards, we headed to Target to complete our wedding registry, then headed to {Cream}, a specialty ice cream parlor where you make your own ice cream sandwiches.  Or in B's case, ice cream taco!

Alas, after enjoying fine foods and wedding gowns, it was time to take my mom back to the airport.  I talk to her almost daily and we'll see her in March when we're down for a close friend's wedding, so the goodbyes aren't that hard when I know it's seven weeks until I see her again.

When we got home, I napped on the couch while B enjoyed his team (the Broncos) defeating the Steelers.  We both play next week and if both teams win, the Super Bowl will be incredibly awkward.  We already decided if it's a Broncos-Cardinals match up, we're watching separately, for the sake of our relationship.

The rest of Sunday was devoted to grading (I set a timer), laundry, and watching a movie.  Today we have off to celebrate Dr. King and my day will be spent grading and working on work stuff.  My bridal glow is dimming, thanks in part to reality.

Naturally, I have helpers for grading essays:





So I'll be heading to Panera soon since I'm clearly not going to be productive at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment