Sunday, May 10, 2015

Guest Speaker

As difficult as it is for me to admit, I'm not an expert on everything.  So when it came to teaching about mixtures and solutions, we have some basic supplies but for my munchkins, this wasn't enough.

I invited one of my close friends Katie in to be a guest speaker. She holds a degree in chemistry and works at a local titanium alloy plant.

She prepared a power point and several basic experiments for the fifth graders.  She was gracious enough not only to speak to my class, but the other four classes as well.



She went over mixtures and solutions, demonstrating how mixtures can be separated out again into their separate entities while solutions can't.



Oil and water (with food coloring) as well as lemonade packets and water:


My students were super excited when they learned they were able to then drink the lemonade afterward!

Thanks Katie for coming to play science with our fifth graders!



No comments:

Post a Comment