Friday, December 13, 2013

Stations

For my intervention part of the day, we've been working on multiplication.

I had students work on two different stations while I pulled individual students to practice fluency or work on math misconceptions.

The first station they worked on was "I have, who has?" place value center.  This great TpT freebie was designed by Quintessential Lessons and is wonderful!




What I love about it (besides that it's free and challenging) is how great of a job it does at having students see the relationships between numbers in our base-10 system.
You can snag a free copy here!



The second station is one I created called "Strategies Sort".

While students can solve the multiplication questions, the point of the center is to discuss which strategy would be most effective as a mathematician.

This station is available here on TpT.  I'd recommend printing on 2 different colors of card stock for convenience.




Our station bucket:


Working on a variety of strategies:


Hooray for math!

2 comments:

  1. I love math stations. I have been trying to do them more this year. Thanks so much for the shout out! Your kind words really made my day. I am so happy to find a new fifth grade blog to follow.

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students struggled at the beginning of the year with this standard (as they're supposed to) but tried it again after reteaching and happily proclaimed "oh, I get it!" which is always music to a teacher's ears :) The girls loved the owl images too :) I love that I dont' really have any behavior issues when we use math stations like yours and I can concentrate on my small groups!

    ReplyDelete