Wednesday, January 3, 2018

17 in 17, revisited

About a year ago, I shared my {17 in 17} post.  For readability sake, I've reposted the article in italics.

As I look at my calendar for 2017, I'm optimistic for the year ahead.

1) I'm looking forward to B graduating college.  For the past four years, he's been working (more than) full time, playing softball, and in school full time with the University of Phoenix.  He's got a few classes left and is enjoying what he's studying, which is setting him up for a future career that he loves.


He graduated. He's searching for a job within his field.

 

2) I'm looking forward to friends' weddings.  We have one in April, one in May, two in September, and one in October.  (That we know of...)


We enjoyed them all, thoroughly. We've got a few upcoming weddings in 2018 but things have simmered down.

3) I'm looking forward to our friends having babies.  One is due in January, one in February, two in April, one in May, and one in July...again, that we know of!


Sweet, sweet babies.  More are on the way. None of them are ours.

4) I'm looking forward to our honeymoon.  It's occurring over the summer and on an island.  We're still working on the details.


We spent half a week in Arizona, a week in Florida, and a week in St. Martin. It was perfect.




 

5) Finishing our bedroom.  We purchased a bedroom set on Black Friday and the final piece was just delivered to the store.  We'll be making a quick road trip to Arizona later this month to pick up the last dresser.  We'll also be purchasing a new mattress in February (when they're on sale for President's Day) and building our new bed.  It's a little tough for two adults and three pets to share a queen sized bed and the mattress is literally falling apart.  

Here's a preview of our new furniture:




(We purchased from {American Furniture Warehouse} and have been pleased with their products.  We now have a bed, 2 night stands, 3 dressers, a media stand, a recliner, a table, and eight chairs. #adulting!)


Bed is still great. We got some new sheets from my mama for Christmas. They're puppy approved!

 

6)  I'm looking forward to making our financial goals.  My car will be paid off this month (years ahead of the loan). Our security door will be paid off in six months (so no interest!) and we're working side jobs to reduce our debt (the wedding was expensive).  We've got a plan and are on our way to meeting our goals.


Vehicles are paid off, security door paid off, mattress paid off, bed furniture set paid off.  Working on honeymoon debt, holidays, and student loans. 

7) Working on my resolutions.  I'm excited for the books ahead!


I didn't read as many books as I'd planned.

8) I'm excited to plan events.  I'm working on a baby shower for early March and bridal events over the summer.  B will be graduating (and then getting an epic party) and his aunt & uncle are celebrating their 40th anniversary.  His second cousin is turning 18.  His cousin is getting married in May.  There's a lot of exciting events to help organize.


Baby showers and wedding events went as planned, for the most part.  One wedding got cancelled, the 40th anniversary was replaced by a 90th birthday party, and a few other baby showers popped up.  





9) Traveling to new places.  My bestie is teaching at UNC and I want to see her new home in Charlotte.  We're also looking forward to taking our first Disneyland trip as a couple this year.  The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (CA) is also on the agenda for this year.


We didn't make it to Harry Potter world or Disneyland.  We made it to Universal Studios in Florida instead. I didn't make it out to UNC. When we were on the East Coast, she was at a conference in Paris. I'd be jealous if I wasn't so insanely proud of her.
 

10) I'm looking forward to pursuing passions.  I'm currently working on a scrapbook for a friend.  B is building a 3D pirate ship.  It's nice to be crafty separately, but still together.


Still working on those passions. He built a Rick and Morty lego thing yesterday.

11) I'm looking forward to finally finishing the Gilmore Girls revival! Over Thanksgiving break, I prioritized grading and family time.  I am dreading the end (although it's already been spoiled) because I waited so long for this revival!


I watched it, more than once.  We are ready to start season 2 of Stranger Things!

12) I'm really, really excited to get our wedding pictures back! We had a wonderful time and can't wait to see the professional shots. It's been about six weeks, so I'm hopeful they'll be done soon.


Done, back, gorgeous.  I'll get around to making an album one of these days.


 

13) I'm looking forward to a tater tots & beer festival.  We didn't order tickets in time for the one last November, so I'll be quicker with purchasing the tickets.


We looked into this and it was ridiculously expensive.  Plus it was really close to the Vegas Shooting, so we weren't quite ready to try outdoor festivals.

14) I'm looking forward to continuing to spend time with friends. We'll be enjoying potlucks and game nights as we all focus less on going out for wild crazy nights and adjust to life as adults in our thirties (gasp).


The events didn't happen as often as I'd like but we still had adventures with friends.

 

15) I'm excited to be a sounding board for close friends that are getting married.  I'm still working on blog posts about my favorite parts.


Their weddings were lovely.



16) I'm looking forward to our field trips.  We're taking the kiddos to the Springs Preserve for a guided field trip in early February.


That was a fun field trip. We also took the third graders to the science museum last month.

17) I'm excited to watch B help coach girls soccer at my school with Mrs. S. He'll be assistant coach to the fourth and fifth grade girls this spring.


That was cute. He's ready to do it again.  Waffs and I enjoyed some games.

 

What are you looking forward to in 2017?



2017 had its ups and downs.  All political commentary aside, it was a year of change.  I decided to switch grade levels and am now thoroughly enjoying teaching third.  We enjoyed some trips, I read a few good books (and one I really disliked), did some crafting, strengthened friendships, and let toxic ones go.  All three pets are still relatively healthy, my mom opened her Etsy shop (more on that later), and we wrote about our hopes for 2018:




No comments:

Post a Comment