Sunday, January 28, 2018

Revisiting Summaries

We've needed another refresher of summaries.  Perhaps it's because of winter break, but my students seem to have forgotten that summaries are more than 4 words long.

Sigh, review time.

I used Lon Po Po so we could learn about folk tales from other countries while also reviewing summaries (RL 3.2).  I like opportunities to imbed multiple skills at once.

We read the story and I had students work in partners to write a summary.

 

The next day, I read all the summaries and we gave feedback to one another.  From there, I took all their ideas and created an anchor chart:


 However, we took it one step further with color coding the parts (somebody, wanted, but,so, then).  

I had student helpers:



By including my students in the process, there is more engagement.  While the anchor charts aren't always pinterest quality, there is a benefit of making them with the students.  If you present a pre-made one, they have no investment.  It's something the teacher did.  However, if you make it with them and include their ideas, they feel more connected to the content. 


On day 3, we read this book:


We reviewed summaries, started talking about the lesson learned (pre-teaching theme), and compared and contrasted the story with Disney's version.



Many of my students have cultural ties to Mexico, so by chosing this story, not only am I addressing the multi-cultural parts of the standards, but I'm validating and embracing their culture.  We talked about the beautiful art work, I had student helpers read the Spanish phrases in the book, and my students felt celebrated.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment