Saturday, June 20, 2015

Making of the crayon wreath

One of my craft projects this summer was making a crayon wreath for my classroom.

Total cost: Around $10 since I already had the glue gun, glue sticks, and ribbon.

Total time: About an hour.

Difficulty level: Easy.

Supplies:
  • Crayons.  I used a 128 count box of Crayola Crayons from Target.  I used about 80 crayons for this project but I wanted to make sure I had enough color options.  I chose to not use the browns or blacks in the wreath, so I needed lots of crayons to make it possible.
  • Hot glue gun & glue sticks
  • Frame or hoops.
Optional supplies:
  • Ribbon or twine (for hanging the wreath)
  • Decoration for the wreath (letters for names, inspirational messages, mini chalk boards, etc).   I found this "dream big" in the dollar spot at Target (disclaimer, it was $3).

Pinterest suggested using two embroidery hoops of different sizes for this project.  I chose to go in a different direction and use a wire wreath frame, like this one from Joann's:

 
I flipped it over and used the back side of the frame because I wanted to glue the crayons to the most outside and most inside rings.



I started with putting down newspapers over my work space. I tend to get strands of hot glue everywhere, so I wanted to protect my table cloth.

I chose my four anchor colors (red, blue, green, orange) and glued these crayons in the corner.  

I forgot to take a picture of this step, so here is Two Yellow Birds Decor's example:



They used embroidery hoops but I found the floral wreath frame to be easier.  

From there, I simply glued the crayons to the wreath.  I tried to glue using the black designs on the Crayola wrapper, but it didn't line up quite perfectly.  However, from a distance you can't tell!

When I was done gluing, I added my decorative sign:



All that is left is to add decorative ribbon (which I think is in my classroom) and I'm done!  The total time for this craft project? About an hour, although it's longer if you're distracted by Netflix!

A helpful hint:

Pay attention to where you put the glue gun down.  I didn't and ended up melting the edge of one of my crayons after I'd already glued it down.  It's not noticeable from a far, but it's still a bummer.  



I'm already planning my next craft project!

I will be recreating this:



Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment