Sunday, June 30, 2013

Catching Fire and Hunger Games

With November's movie date fast approaching, I am one of many eagerly re-reading Suzanne Collin's Catching Fire.  While I liked the movie adaptation of Hunger Games, it pales in comparison to my love of the books...but isn't that always the case?



I am also preparing for reading these novels with a new group of fifth graders in a few months an preparing for the inevitable comments from a few stinkers about "can't I just watch the movie instead?".  No, you can't.  Movie fans lack the development of Katniss and Peeta's relationship.  More importantly, they can' tell me who Madge is...so no, the movie doesn't replace the book.

To prepare for these literature circles, I've made sorts where students must put the events back into chronological order.  This requires them to pay attention to key details, re-read the parts of the book and think critically about how the chapters and events build upon one another.




They are available on my TPT store now :)
(Mockingjay should be up within the week but Hunger Games and Catching Fire are available now!)

My students enjoyed this sort and would have some great literature discussions.  They'd often independently start talking about which characters they liked best and which events were the most meaningful to them, which is always exciting as a teacher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment