Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Syllables

This week in phonics, we're reviewing r-controlled vowels.  This aligns with CLOVER as one of the six types of syllables.  To help my students, we did our syllable sort in IE block and small groups:




Students collaboratively work together to sort syllables into the 6 CLOVER categories:

C: closed syllables
L: consonant -le
O: open syllables
V: vowel teams
E: silent e
R: r-controlled

By studying syllables and strategies for breaking apart multisyllabic words, students have multiple opportunites to practice this crucial reading skill.

Students also referred to our ever-growing phonics wall:


I got the ideas from another awesome co-worker. I love that I work with such amazing educators, I feel like I learn something new each day :)

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment