Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Vegas Strong

Things are far from fine.



First, I was not at the event. I was at home.  That doesn't make this any less devastating.

Second, I had friends who were there.  Friends who literally ran for their lives.  Thankfully, they all escaped physically unscathed.

Third, not all were so lucky.  Las Vegas currently holds the new title of most deadly mass shooting.  As of the publication time, 58 innocent lives were lost with over 500 more in the hospital.



Monday was a very difficult day to be in the classroom.  We talked about the event briefly and tears were shed.  All but one of my kiddos showed up that day.  It was the last place I wanted to be, but I needed to be the face of stability in a time of crisis.  I gave a lot of hugs that day. 

Instead of glorifying the terrorist, instead I'll share how amazing the first responders and heroes were.  Story after story is emerging of people helping others.



B and I took boxes of non perishables and toiletries down to Sunrise Hospital Monday afternoon.

Churches were full of donations.  The Thomas and Mack was full.  Millions have been raised for medical costs and funerals.  Lyft and Uber are waiving drive fees.  People are taking strangers to the hospital and opening their homes.  Airlines are giving free flights for victims' families.  Hotels are waiving fees.  

Prayers are great, but so is action.  



No comments:

Post a Comment