Thursday, October 5, 2017

Let's Taco About It

Yesterday was one of my favorite national holidays:



Okay, it's not really an official holiday but it's certainly one of my favorites.  

In honor of this awesome day, I decided to sneak in a mini math lesson on surveys, data analysis, and asking questions.

I posed three simple questions:

1) Where is your favorite place to get tacos?

2) What is your favorite filling?

3) Do you prefer hard or soft shells?

I had my students vote with a simple raise of their hands while I tallied the data on the smart board.  I modeled making predictions about what I thought would be the most popular answer and asking questions about the data.

Here are our results:





Afterwards, I asked them what the purpose of the lesson was.  Here's a sample of their responses:

-To let us practice having a voice
-To show us that it's okay to disagree
-To help us learn more about one another
-To practice asking questions
-To show that we don't all have to like the same things

Not bad for a fifteen minute mini-lesson.

Oh, and not to worry, I did participate:


No comments:

Post a Comment