Friday, October 6, 2017

Stuff and Things

If you're a frequent reader, you may have noticed my new blog header.  Welcome to the revamped version of my blog.  



This year marks a significant chance in my teaching career.

This year is my first year in third grade.

This year is my first year with a predominately male team. 

This year is my first year as a mentor to a student teacher (from BYU-I).

This is a year of changes and firsts.


While I still firmly love my polka dots, flip flops, and novels, it was time for a change.

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Frey (of Fisher and Frey).  My students had just returned from a magnificently educational field trip.  We'd studied various scientific concepts and this was a well planned, efficiently executed culminating learning experience for the fifth graders.

However, they are also hormonal ten year olds.  So when we encountered Dr. Frey in the hallway returning from my field trip and they were asked what they had learned, one of my snarky students simply replied "stuff".  Dr. Frey politely probed for more information (as we teachers do).  Another student piped up "things".  Dr. Frey shot me a disapproving look, said "well then" and turned to walk down the hallway.

That's right, they learned:



I have never been more embarrassed and simultaneously amused by my students.  With all the preparation in the world, children still say the most ridiculous things.

In respect to these unpredictable moments, I shall rename this blog in their honor.

In teaching, we cover stuff and things.  In life, we deal with stuff and things.  Cheers to the unexpected moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment