Sunday, November 24, 2013

Text structures

We spent last week and this upcoming week working on text structures with our students.

We used this great resource from FCRR.org on text structures where students had to sort paragprahs into the categories of informational text.


We also looked at the five types: description, compare & contrast, cause & effect, sequence/chronology, and problem & solution.

Since my students mix up problem & solution with cause & effect, I used a little help from my iPad to clarify the difference: 


I have a clear cause (the angry birds) and then the effect(s) are when the structure falls down and the pigs die because of the birds.


In candy crush, I have a problem and if I'm stumped, the game gives me recommended solutions (game hints).

We're still working on text structure next week with reading different informational articles and analyze them for their purpose and text structure, but they're doing a good job with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment