Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mixtures & Solutions Sort

It's funny, my best selling product on TpT is my mixtures and solutions sort.   It's been downloaded a few dozen times and rated 11 times with 3.9/4 stars as an average.  It's a little funny to me because I spend so much of my time focusing on literacy and small groups.  My science focus this year is on land forms, earth and space, not chemistry...but that's ok!  My students loved it last year, another awesome teacher in my grade level uses it this year with our fifth graders, so it's still relevant :)

I always like to do a literacy connection with mixtures and solutions.  We go over solids, liquids & gases because it's connected with chemistry.

We read Dr. Seuss's Bartholomew and the Oobleck...



...before making our own oobleck (cornstarch, water & food coloring).  They analyze whether the oobleck is a liquid or a solid based on their five senses.  From there, they can decide if it's a mixture or a solution.

Happy reading fellow scientists!

No comments:

Post a Comment