Wednesday, November 1, 2017

one.






Thankful November post one: my students' parents

I operate with the mindset that every parent truly means well and wants what is best for the kiddo.  While the parent group may be frustrating at times, when I step back and remind myself that I am with their precious baby for seven hours a day, it's a little easier to deal with when I re-frame my mindset to one that emphasizes they are doing what they think is best (instead of thinking they are doing X, Y, and Z on purpose to irritate me).  

Last Thursday, we threw a surprise party for our student teacher.  It was her last day in our (general education) classroom before she transitioned to student teaching in the resource (special education) setting.  I must say, it's tricky to plan a surprise party when someone is with you all day long! I kept finding excuses to send her on quick errands so the kiddos and I could discuss the party in five minute increments. 

I sent home a letter to families explaining our advice book and asking for some donations to our surprise party.

I was blown away by the sheer amount of goodies we received.  I didn't have to buy a single snack supply (and for that, I'm grateful). 

My students wrote wonderful, heart-felt letters to our student teacher.  I glued them into a hard cover book.  Students took the time at the party to share their favorite lessons with her and what they'd learned from her.  There were a lot of tears all around and it was a bittersweet moment.  She's off to a great start in her teaching career.

Parents shared on class dojo how much they appreciated her and their own fond memories of student teachers in elementary school.   I was humbled by their generosity in gifting supplies for our party. 

We had quite the feast and yet, still had left overs.  We had a welcoming party for our new student teacher on Monday.  (She'd completed the first half of her student teaching in the autism room.)  We had even more donations come in for our fall celebration (because I have students who don't celebrate Halloween).

The kiddos had 3 bags of chips, 3 capri suns, cookies, and more yesterday.  I still have boxes of drinks and unopened snack bags of chips.  I guess we'll be having a reading picnic soon!





(Yes, I did also thank them on class dojo as well as in person.  I know many of them do not read this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment