Friday, February 26, 2016

Next steps, professionally

Fifth grade is hard.  Three dozen students is hard.  Escalating behaviors because of puberty and the full moon is hard.  Field trips to the local middle school are hard.

Life was hard this week. (Let's be real, month!)

Today my poor guest teacher left three pages of notes about their poor behavior choices.  Yes, pages.  I'm mortified.  I'm finding myself angry at my students most of the time and it's turning me into the type of teacher I don't want to be.  That's devastating, but this group is rough.  This is my third rough year in a row, which doesn't help.  I can't, and won't, keep living with these daily frustrations. 



I've been thinking a lot about my next steps professionally.

I don't see myself being in fifth grade forever.  I'm not quite sure what I want to do next.

The good news is I have some options:

1) I'm considering the two year process of National Board Certification.  



B wants to eventually relocate to Colorado since he's been in Las Vegas his entire life, so it will be nice to have that to follow me.  There's an informational meeting in a few weeks at school and a cohort will be formed, so I won't even go through the entire process alone.  It will be time consuming, but it will also open lots of doors in the future.

2)  I'm considering primary.  Under twenty kids, that like me most of the time, seems like heaven after this week.  It won't be a piece of cake (because teaching never is), but I think second grade seems great.  They aren't learning to be in school for the first time, the educational gaps won't be as large as they are in fifth grade, there are smaller class sizes, and there's no high stakes testing, so I'd be free to do more STEM and creative activities.  I shared my intent with my principal today, so it's free to share out with the general public.

3) I'm also considering getting an endorsement in "blended learning", which means I'd be licensed to teach online school.  We're considering this for when we have kids (definitely a few years down the road).

So many choices.  I want to pursue different venues to keep my options open.  I definitely don't see spending my entire teaching career in the classroom.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment