Sunday, September 17, 2017

What to do with those extra Scholastic book orders....

Don't get me wrong, I love Scholastic and their book orders.


I don't love that I always seem to have extras and feel bad just throwing them away.

So, instead we sort!

One of the first reading standards we cover (or review) is the difference between fiction and non-fiction texts.  

I make an anchor chart with the kiddos:

I grab a few books off the bookshelf and model previewing the text, thinking aloud if it is fiction or non-fiction.  I do a few, then ask for student input.  They did a really good job this year identifying if a book was fiction or NF based on the back cover, front cover, and text features. 

From there, I use some left over Scholastic book orders, glue, scissors, and construction paper to have the kids create a sort.  I use this as an opportunity to teach (or review) making a T chart:


(Image from {fellow blogger})
 
Students worked with a partner to look at the book orders (which secretly gets them excited about reading) to find five examples of F or NF books.  They cut them out, glued them to their T charts, and then explained their thinking to their neighbors.

I walked around listening to their conversations and interjecting when necessary.  

Instead of just teaching procedures of how to use the scissors or the glue sticks, I like to have them practice immediately so there is a purpose to the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment