Saturday, September 9, 2017

Organization in a tiny classroom

One of my least favorite parts about being a teacher is moving classrooms.  When I made the decision to move down to third grade at the end of last year, that meant moving to a smaller sized classroom.

I took several of my tables and all my bookcases with me, but had to give up tables, a wardrobe, and a filing cabinets.

I love using tables, but it does mean I have to problem solve in terms of their supplies.

To compensate, I've purchased crates for storage:



To help them stay organized, there are distinct areas for all of their supplies.  The top section holds their reading binders and library books.  The bottom right section holds their math notebooks and math folders (where they keep old homework and problem sets to use to study).  The last section holds their science notebooks and text books.  The black bin holds writing notebooks, warm up journals, and clipboards.  The plastic colored tub is full of table supplies (and color coded).

It's working fairly well. It's an adjustment for them to not have their own personal space, but it also keeps our classroom clean, makes tidying a breeze, and allows them to move around without worrying about someone else in their desks.  I did allow them to have pencil boxes so they still feel that sense of ownership.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment