Saturday, October 25, 2014

Halloween

When I asked a colleague if the kiddos were allowed to wear Halloween costumes to school, I got really excited when I learned how into Halloween we are at our school.

There is a parade. 

I can have a class party.

The kids wear costumes.

Hooray!

I originally found this idea online:



I double checked, no food allergies!  However, I don't necessary want to give them snacks that are completely sugar.  I also would most likely damage these in the process of transporting them from home to school.

So I compromised with these:




I purchased the large tubs of cheese balls at Target and used the snack sized ziplocks.  While these aren't the healthiest snacks, they won't make a huge mess (like sprinkles or frosting), they are portion-sized, and I could accomplish the whole class for under $10.  B gets the left overs which he's pretty excited about.  I used 1/2 of each color tub, so if you wanted to stick with just one color for cheese balls, your cost would be even less.

(Plus I could make these while dealing with a migraine)

I also created a permission slip for students to participate in our class party, that way I am being respectful of my students' religious preferences.  They can still eat of course, they'll just visit another classroom during our "Halloween" party time.

I've also learned through the experience of having several dozen cupcakes to ask students to bring in different items.  I will also be providing capri sun, that way we don't run into the situation where we have two liter bottles and no cups (again, from experience).  Plus capri suns are less likely to spill.

This year I was proud of myself for creating different categories for families to pick from.  For example:

___ sugary snacks (candy, muffins, brownie bites, cupcakes (no bright colored frosting))
___ crunchy snacks (pretzels, chips and dip, crackers and cheese)
___ healthy snacks (cheese and cracker tray, fruit tray, veggie tray)
___ paper products (napkins, plates, cups, utensils, tissues, paper towels)
___ classroom supplies (expo markers, post its, glue sticks)
___ we are unable to donate at this time

Hopefully this will spread out the snacks :)

Now it's time to find where I put my ASU grad robes because for the last several years, they've doubled as my Gryffindor Quidditch robes because I go as Ginny Weasley. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment