Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Random Acts of Kindness

Rule 11: 

Surprise others by performing random acts of kindness.  Go out of your way to do something surprisingly kind and generous for someone at least once a month.

(Ron Clark's Essential 55)


My skills are not found in the kitchen, so baking goods for others is out of the question. I'd rather not poison loved ones.  That kind of defeats the whole random acts of kindness plan.  Instead, I'd rather spend my time creating something.

The premise is simple. With a $20 budget, I'll select one person each month to surprise with some sort of craft project.  I won't just be selecting my friends but rather try to truly tune into all the events at school.  I've got the first three planned out and a few other possibilities swirling around my brain.


August's candidate: Mrs. A

Mrs. A works at my school site but isn't a classroom teacher.  She's our speech pathologist and doesn't always feel like part of a team.  It's got to be hard essentially being a one person department.  Her oldest is starting kindergarten (at our school) and a close work wife abruptly retired at the end of the school year for a continent move.  Plus she's a super awesome person.

She likes lady bugs, so I decided to make a wreath incorporating one.  To keep within my self-imposed budget, I went with a smaller sized frame and waited until burlap was on sale.

The supplies:




Wire frame 
1 roll of tan wired burlap (it holds the shape better) 
2 mini rolls of patterned burlap (chevron maroon and black)
1 wooden lady bug
Floral wire
hot glue gun 

The crafting itself was rather quick because of the size, my procrastination (I don't want to label any more books right now), and that I've done a good dozen of these wreaths by now. 

I also included a small note explaining the gift.


 

I made the base of solid burlap first and then wove in the patterned parts.  I used a hot glue gun to attach the lady bug and let the wreath sit overnight.

 

I'll be keying into her room this morning and leaving it on her desk. I'm fairly certain she'll be in today but all teachers in our district must report back tomorrow.  



What small gestures can you do to spread #rule11?


No comments:

Post a Comment