Thursday, March 16, 2017

The firsts of the lasts...

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I've been allowed to publicly share that I'm moving down to third grade.

However, I've also started to realize that I'm experiencing some of my "lasts" for fifth grade.

A few weeks ago, I went on my last field trip to Harney MS.  They learn about electives, clubs, and classes.

They register for classes and get to pick their electives.


I won't get to feel like a celebrity when I go back and hear my name shouted across the classroom or basketball courts.


Tomorrow is the pep assembly for SBACs.  I'll still get to attend because it's 3-5, but it would have been my last time with my grade level.  Unfortunately, I am quarantined at home with bronchitis, a sinus infection, and an ear infection. I've missed 2 1/2 days this week (which means I lost 2 personal days next year).

It's a trolls themed assembly and we (the fifth grade team) made tutus.  The students made their own headbands:



They're so excited and I'm so bummed to miss it.  Luckily my work wives will take pictures.

I've started boxing up my classroom of materials I won't need for the rest of the year (since I'll be changing rooms). I've also been working on going through stuff in the garage to determine what's appropriate for third, what I'm keeping for fifth, what I'm donating, and what just needs to be tossed.  It's my goal for spring break to finish the garage since he wants to put the old TV out there to complete his man cave.

This year will also be the last time I get to go to the Hollywood Rec Center pool on the last day of school.  That's always one of my favorite parts of fifth grade.  Bummer.

I guess I'm feeling super nostalgic towards the end of my career of teaching fifth grade.  There will only be a few more "adjusting to middle school" counseling lessons.  There's only one more growth and development (aka puberty) class.  I only have to administer the science standardized tests one more time.

Fifth grade, it's been fun.  I've got something like sixty days left as a fifth grade teacher and then it's time for a new challenge: the third graders!

No comments:

Post a Comment