Monday, December 29, 2014

Looking Backward, Looking Forward

With 2015 quickly approaching, I'm pausing to reflect upon the past year.  A lot has changed: new house, new school, and new friends.  I've jumped head first into new career opportunities (TpT and Jamberry) besides teaching.  I love my job, but I don't see being in the classroom forever. I'm not quite sure how to get to my dream job, so it's a good thing I've got a lot of time to figure it out!  In 2014, I've grown a lot as a teacher and as an individual.

I tried new lessons and strategies in my classroom.  Some of them worked, some of them didn't.  That's okay.  

What worked well:

Homework challenge packets. During parent-teacher conferences, some asked for more work.  So I'm doing brain teasers and logic puzzles, very similar to Sudoku and other number games.  It's not directly tied to the standards we're working on, but it won't hurt them to stretch their brains a bit.

I'm excited for a fresh start in January.  I am going to try music in my classroom for transition time.  I'm going to use the Saved by the Bell theme song for our end of day routine.  It'll be nice to give them some wiggle/dance time while they clean up.  I'm also going to make sure each student has an end of the day task to help keep them focused.

We're starting the new school year with new seats and new class jobs.

I'm also excited for making resolutions for myself and with my students.  

What new things will you be trying in your classroom this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment